Developing Performance Goals and Standards is one of the courses included in Vital Learning Corporation’s Leadership Essentials Series. It focuses on interpersonal skills, emphasizing communication and improvement of management skills by using behavior modeling. For maximum benefit, it is recommended that learners first experience the two foundation modules, Essential Skills of Leadership and Essential Skills of Communicating prior to taking this course. The audiences for this course are team leaders, supervisors, and first-line managers. Unless managers and team leaders are successful in spelling out the organization’s specific goals, their team members are not going to know how to meet those objectives. This module shows trainees how to establish specific, measurable, attainable, results-oriented, and time-framed performance goals. It then illustrates the steps that gain team member agreement and commitment to those performance goals.
When you have completed the Developing Performance Goals and Standards course, you will be able to conduct a successful meeting with a team member to coach them on how to perform a job, task, or skill by:
- Defining goals, objectives and performance standards.
- Identifying and set performance standards that are specific, measurable, attainable, results-oriented, and time-framed, using concrete active language.
- Establishing time limits for all performance standards.
- Involving team members in creating their own individual performance standards.
- Negotiating with team members to develop effective S.M.A.R.T.-based performance standards.
- Monitoring team members’ progress toward their goals by holding individual review meetings.